Footer problems

I have been using html2ps for while.
Footers have been working fine but now I am trying new stuff and have problems.
First, if I generate two columns on a page with:
html2ps -2D source > output
The footers appear under each column, not just on each page. I can't
hack it by having the footer appear on alternate pages because the page
count is still off.
Second, if I put the header parameter in a secondary configuration file, all
the letters in the header come out lower case, including $N (prints as $n in
the footer.)
For example,

html2ps -2D -f:../../../.html2psrc_10 source > output

If .html2psrc_10 is this:
BODY {
     font-size: 10pt;
     font-family: Times;
     text-align: none;
   }
footer
  {
    left: "THIS IS BIG $N";
    font-family: Helvetica;
    font-size: 8pt;
    font-style: normal;
    font-weight: normal;
    color: black;
    alternate: 1;
}

The footer prints out:
  this is big $n

The footer prints out as expected if it goes into the main configuration
file.

Now, there are workarounds for all of this, I know (edit the PostScript
directly), but I'd like to avoid the work.

Any suggestions appreciated,
Joel

Support the Open Voting Consortium